The district's highly acclaimed art program consists of a K-8 required curriculum for all students and a comprehensive and varied high school program. The district curricula are aligned with the New York State Learning Standards for the Arts.
A dedicated staff of 21 art teachers includes many who are actively involved in the New York State Art Teachers Association and a large number who are successful practicing artists. Several have consistently won awards for their own art works at the local and state level.
Each year, the art department presents a district-wide student art show at the Buffalo Niagara Heritage (formerly the Amherst Museum). This celebrated event features over 300 student works by K-12 students from all thirteen buildings in the school district. This impressive exhibit annually attracts over 1,300 visitors! Many of the buildings also sponsor their own art shows in the spring which highlight the outstanding two and three dimensional work being done at all levels. In addition, district sponsored student art shows have also appeared throughout the community including such venues as the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, the Kenan Center, the UB Center for the Arts, and at the District Budget Vote.
The mission of the art program within the Williamsville Central School District, a community characterized by diversity, high expectations and support for learning, is to ensure that through the study of art all students will:
- Build and create a vital relationship with the arts that assists them in developing independent, critical thought.
- Have lives rich in meaning and expression.
- Learn to visually communicate in their own unique way, through creating works of art.
- Learn to critically analyze, interpret, and judge visual imagery in a rapidly changing world.
- Discover the opportunities and roles they can play in the arts, including the wide range of vocations, and as participant and/or supporter of the arts.
- Understand that art reflects time periods, cultures and societies.
Why study the Arts?
For more information regarding Art instruction in Williamsville, please contact:
Instructional Specialist for The Arts, Business & Marketing, and Family & Consumer Sciences
mrusso [at] williamsvillek12.org