Scheduling – The Importance of selecting the Right Courses the First Time
Attention South families,
As crazy as it sounds, we are already beginning course scheduling for the 2022-2023 school year here at South High School. This process begins in December, with course selection by our students and families running through the end of February, and master schedule creation beginning shortly after that. To kick off this process, we have made the South High School 2022-2023 Course Catalog/Curriculum Handbook available as of today.
Although this may seem early, and it seems like you have plenty of time to change your mind about which classes you are taking, please keep in mind that we choose to run classes based on the number of students who sign up for a class. Not every class offered will have enough enrollment to run, so it is important that we have as precise an enrollment number as we can in order to make our decisions. In addition, students changing classes after we have started creating the master schedule can result in class sizes being larger or smaller than anticipated, and causing other issues that will affect both students and staff.
So here is what you can do to help:
- Take time to review the schedule request form with your child before signing.
- Seek out guidance from your child’s school counselor if you have questions.
- Have your child discuss appropriate course level recommendations with their current subject teacher.
In addition, the following is a list of things you should know regarding the scheduling process:
- Course of Studies Night (also known as 8th Grade Orientation) will take place on Wednesday, January 5th from 6:00-8:00pm. This year, we will be holding both the in-person event on that night, as well as making the course selection information available to families to view online.
- The actual course selection process then formally begins after January 5th, when our current 9th, 10th and 11th grade students start meeting with their counselors to place their initial course selections into the computer.
- Counselors will meet individually with students in the months of January and February to input course requests.
- The Course Catalog/Curriculum Handbook is available on WITS and the South High School website.
- The Course Request Error/Omission deadline will be June 10th. Therefore, students must identify Errors or Omissions they see in their tentative class list by this date.
- Any request made by a student to change their schedule (either a course change or level change) after the June 10th date will need to meet the following criteria:
- Request is received prior to the second Friday in September, at the conclusion of the first full week of school.
- Course requested has space availability
- Requested change does not adversely change class size/dynamics of either the class being dropped or the class being added
- Requested change does not affect the other classes on student’s schedule
- Requested change does not close out the availability for other students to register for the course
- Any class or level change requests submitted to the Guidance office after the second Friday in September will need to be submitted by the teacher of the class, and will be subject to the criteria mentioned above.
In the end it is our goal to help students select the courses that are right for them. We want the courses to be both challenging and rewarding. Please help us by involving yourself in the course selection process from the beginning.
Thanks for your continued partnership,
Mr. Boardman, Principal
South High School 2022-2023 Course Catalog/Curriculum Handbook